Pharma industry is a global business. Multinationals in the pharma sector work hard in order to produce advancements in their products. Every year, these companies present in international fairs in Pharma their results and create the networks with clients, suppliers and other competitors. In this post, we will talk about some peculiarities about the pharam industry and the best international fairs worldwide!
The pharma industry
The pharmaceutical industry classifies amongst the largest, most important and fast growing sectors in the world. Today, the process bringing medicine from the laboratories into the hands of patients is a multi billion dollar global industry. Providing the best medical facilities is the target of every pharmacy company around the world. Many of the leading pharma companies come from the United States and, therefore, it is no surprise that the country has the largest pharmaceutical market worldwide. Revenue share of the North American pharmaceutical market in 2019 was 48,7% of the global market. Then follow Asia – 21% and Europe is in third place having 20% of revenue of the global market.
Mostly, this industry is so important and powerful because it is striving towards innovative new treatments that help people live longer and healthier lives and help to reduce pain, suffering and discomfort. But if we think deeper about the importance of this industry then we realize that it saves money for each country in the world which is spent for the public health system. For example by preventing disease, vaccines not only help to save millions of lives, they save money too. Vaccines are reducing healthcare costs preventing productivity loss, therefore having a wider impact on the economy. According to the WHO for every $1 the US spends on childhood vaccinations, over $10 in disease treatment costs is saved. And in poor countries $1 on childhood vaccines can save $44 in future savings.
The importance of a well functioning health system is more than ever so understandable as during Covid 19 pandemic. Disease control and healthcare are true pillars of every modern society of each country. And as a consequence the economy around the world is suffering from the impact of Covid-19, the pharmaceutical companies taking centre stage in the Covid-19 fight, and seeing positive growth on the stock market. As well as taking medical progress by researching, developing and bringing new medicines that improve health and quality of life for people around the world, the pharmaceutical industry is a key asset to the global economy. The revenue of the worldwide pharmaceutical market in 2018 – 1,2 trillion, in 2019 was 1,25 trillion USD (statista.com). The pharmaceutical industry has some of the highest profit margins in the world.
Some Interesting Facts About Pharmacy:
- Six of the top 10 big pharmaceutical companies are headquartered in the US. These include Johnson & Johnson, Merck, Pfizer, and AbbVie, among others.
- The world’s best-selling drug is Humira (reduce pain and swelling)
- Coca-Cola, Pepsi and Dr. Pepper was invented by a pharmacist.
- The most expensive drug is Glybera at a wholesale cost of $1.21 million per year. It is a gene therapy that helps restore lipoprotein lipase enzyme activity in those with familial lipoprotein lipase deficiency. Only 1 million patients have this extremely rare condition.
- The first commercial drug was mass-produced in 1883.
- Pharma companies pay massive amounts in fines. Pharmaceutical companies get fined all the time for misleading advertisements and wrongful acts. The pharmaceutical facts reveal that Big Pharma has been slapped with the highest penalties in the healthcare industry.
- The world’s biggest pharmaceutical companies (Top is made by revenue):
- Johnson & Johnson – $56.1bn
- Pfizer – $51.75bn
- Roche – $49.23bn
- Novartis – $47.45bn
- Merck & Co. – $46.84bn
The most important international fairs in Pharma industry
There are more than a hundred international fairs in pharma that take place in the world to empower the healthcare industry. The main reason for these fair trades success is obvious: you have the chance to connect with leading professionals in pharmaceutical business. There you will find the latest and most innovative medical equipment and medicinal products. Everyone gathers to find out about newes innovations and investments and of course the expopharm is the ideal opportunity to get in contact with pharmacy owners, their employees and extend their business relationship. Here you have our top 10:
1. Medica is the world’s leading trade fair for medical technologies. This medical products and technology event is one of the most renowned in this sector. It is the biggest exhibition in the Pharma trade fair. From the 15th to the 18th of November, 2021 the world forum MEDICA 2021 will take place in Messe Dusseldorf. The whole healthcare industry will gather in one place to meet market leaders, established companies, and key figures.
2. Arab Health, organised by the british company Informa and is the second largest pharmaceutical trade show in the world. Every year this fair trade visits over 100,000 visitors along with over 4,000 exhibitors. Also, the exhibition welcomes about 11,600 delegates from about 151 parts of the world and holds 18 world-class conferences with every trade show. Arab Health will be held on June 21 to June 24, 2021, in Dubai World Trade Centre. Website:
3. Natural Products Expo West 2021 is going to be virtual and will take place from May 24 to 27. It is a successful trade show occurring annually. The trade show offers business visitors to find out latest launched products for food supplements from Natural and Organic Industry.
4. CPhi Worldwide is going to be held from November 9 to 11 in Milan, Italy and considered as one of the major events in the pharmaceutical industry, coming onto the fourth position. This fair trade connects the key suppliers with the important buyers of the Pharma industry. It aims to represent the complete distribution chain of medicinal products. From it gross production to the supply in pharmacies and hospitals.
5. IDS Cologne is an international dental show, organised every two years in Cologne. The fair is only accessible for trade visitors who are coming more and more from abroad (from over 250 countries) which emphasize the internationality of the fair. Especially keeping in contact with colleagues, suppliers and business partners is paramount for the visitors. In addition, visitors can receive detailed information about the latest technologies and developments in the market and have the possibility to experience innovations from around the world. The fair is accompanied by a first-class framework program of live demonstrations, performances and presentations. This year the event is from September 22 to 25.
6. Bio International Convention will take place 10 – 11 & 14 – 18 June 2021 in a virtual format. No less than 16 000 visitors from the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries attend the event. The trade show offers an exclusive opportunity to exhibitors to manifest in front of influential decision makers in the world. Turned towards innovation, this conference tackles very varied and highly technical subjects. All aim to shape the medicine of the future.
7. Medtec Europe – is a medical technology fair summit which provides a platform for suppliers together with professionals to meet and conduct business, it is on the 20 – 22 of April, 2021. There you will provide the information on the entire value chain, from prototypes and production to downstream processes. The trade fair gives a 360-degree view of the entire industry! The trade show offers an amazing runway to recognized suppliers of Pharma world to meet and greet the eminent buyers of the industry. Due to the effects of the coronavirus, the fair will be held as an online event only.
8. International Pharmaceutical Business Expo- iPharma is the gateway to successfully grow your business at the largest pharma market. Expo This expo will showcase the latest trends and technologies in pharmaceuticals, drugs and formulations and will bring together eminent personalities from various sectors of pharma, non-pharma and healthcare industries. iPharma Expo 2021 is taking place in London, UK during June 17- 19. Event website
9. FCE Pharma is an international fair trade for the pharmaceutical industry. It is the biggest marketing and sales platform, playing an important role in the growth of the pharmaceutical industry not only by launching trends, products and services, but also with discussion of cases, sharing of content and experiences at conferences and talks. The fair plays a fundamental role in the industry’s growth. The event is on the 8-10 of June 2021 in Sao Paulo, Brasil.
10. FIME is one of the leading medical trade fairs in the healthcare industry and the top medical fair in the United States. The fair brings together medical and healthcare trade professionals from North, Central and South America, and exhibitors from around the world, to do business with national and international companies exhibiting medical and hospital equipment, technology, products and supplies. Every year the trade fair has around 17 500 visitors. The event takes place in Miami, Florida on the 01 – 03 of September.
Here your have our top 10 international fairs in pharma! If you want to keep updated about our latest blog posts and know more about fairs in other industry, go to our blog!!
Post written by Natalja Lainjarv